Monday, February 6, 2012

A healthy alternative to granola bars

We all love snacks and especially granola bars. The only problem with these is they are usually full of tons of sugar, additives and preservatives. That is why I love Larabars because they have NO added sugar or any other yucky preservatives and additives. How I came about making these was about a year ago one of my sons was suffering from some health problems and we had to take almost everything out of his diet except for a few certain things. I then came upon LaraBars at the stores and was very excited to look at their ingredients and find that they were only made with 3-5 natural ingredients that he could have. These bars are not cheap though, so I found some cheat recipes and having been making them ever since. I actually usually make a big batch of a bunch of different flavors every 1-2 weeks. My husband will take some to work to have a healthy clean snack. After I make all my batches I wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in my freezer to preserve them, plus they taste great when frozen.
Here are a few recipes I use. I usually mess with the recipe a bit and add a few of my own things like flax seeds, honey and different nuts or other dried fruit. So takes these recipes but make it your own and it usually turns out great. One of my favorite bars are the Lemon Larabars….so good!

With all of these recipes you put all of the ingredients in the food processors and blend until everything is smooth and blended up and you have a nice consistency or it turns into a ball depending on which recipe you make. If you want your bars to have some chunks of dried fruit or any other ingredient put that ingredient in last then pulse the processor to mix the ingredient slightly in.
After you have mixed everything up, lay out some plastic wrap and put your desired amount into individual piles. Wrap each pile up and form into a rectangular granola bar. You can then put it in the fridge or freezer to make it last longer.

Lemon larabar

Ingredients
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw cashews
Juice of one lemon
Zest of one lemon
12 pitted date

Peanut butter larabar
Ingredients
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts
Cashew Cookie Larabar


Cashew Cookie Larabar


Ingredients
1 cup medjool or other soft dates, pitted
1 cup cashews
1 tsp lemon juice (opt)
pinch sea salt (opt)

Chocolate Larabar


Ingredients
1/3 cup nuts(peanuts,cashews,almonds,walnuts..anything goes!)
1/2 cup chopped dates
1 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder

Cherrie Larabar
Ingredients
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup almonds
1/8 tsp. cinnamon

Banana Bread Larabar


Ingredients:
• 1/4 cup dates
• 1/4 cup dried banana
• 1/3 cup raw almonds












1 comment:

  1. James is sending a request for the Terry Wilkinson granola recipe! P.S. Fun blog We are trying to be healthier and you have some great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete